Listeria has been causing havoc in the US, with many products having to be recalled due to the bacteria.
The scare began earlier this week when five recalls were made in the country – mostly in ready-to-eat salads.
The first recall happened on Tuesday night in Texas, with the recall of two 7-Eleven salads – with the corn being used believed to have been affected.
The result was a fast sweep of recalling many products across the country.
Following the recall in Texas, GH Foods recalled ready-to-eat salads sold at Whole Foods in California.
Moments later, the sweep of recalls spread to Idaho, Oregon and Washington, where cooked chicken products were taken off the shelves by Mary’s Harvest Fresh Foods.
The recalls didn’t stop there, with GH Foods and GHSE recalling 738 pounds worth of Marketside Fiesta Salad.
The salads are sold in Florida, Georgie and South Carolina.
The supplier of the salads currently remains unnamed.
Listeria, also known as listeria monocytogenes, is a potentially life-threatening airborne bacteria spread through food or contact with farm animals.
In rare cases the harmful bacteria can cause the deadly infection listeriosis.
Listeriosis is dangerous to pregnant women, newborns, the elderly and people with weak immune systems.
Others may experience symptoms such as sickness, a mild fever or diarrhoea.
The bacteria was found in the UK and Europe earlier this year, believed to have been contracted from a freezing plant in Hungary.
The illness infected around 50 people and killed 11 of them. No illnesses have been reported in the US yet.
Full list of products recalled from shelves
- Prime Deli’s 7-Eleven Bistro Southwest Style Salad with Bacon. Best before date: Tuesday 16 October
- GH Foods Santa Fe Style Salad with Chicken. Best before dates: October 17-18
- Whole Foods Market BBQ Style Chopped Salad with Chicken. Best before dates: October 17-20
- Whole Foods Market Chicken Fajita Salad. Best before dates: October 17-20
- Bagged BBQ Style Salad Kit with White Chicken. Best before dates October 17-22.
- Marketside Fiesta Salad With Steak. Best before dates: October 17-20
- Mary’s Harvest Southwest Chicken Wrap w/Rib Meat. Best before dates: October 15-23
- Trader Jose’s Mexicali Inspired Salad with Chili Seasoned Chicken. Best before dates: October 15-19